Beginner’s Crochet Online – Level 1
This workshop is suitable for complete beginners who have never crocheted before, or for anyone who may have crocheted in the past but has forgotten the main technique and the basic stitches.
- By the end of this workshop, you will:
- Know the difference between US and UK terminology
- Understand how your hook size, tension, and yarn weight affects the outcome of your finished piece
- Be able to cast a foundation chain
- Complete a row of single crochet stitches (US)
- Practice the correct way to turn and continue the next row
- Skill permitting: Complete a row of double/treble crochet stitches (US) and/or observe the method
All delivered in the comfort of your own home LIVE ONLINE!
Beginner’s crochet online you will need:
It is important not to deviate from the above recommendations, as these will help you to see your stitches clearer and learn with the most suitable sized hook and yarn weight.
The act of crochet encourages the body to be in a ‘flow-state’. This is similar to meditation and is defined as being completely immersed in your activity.
The repetitive counting of crochet has even been shown to serve people with anxiety associated with obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD), eating disorders, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), and insomnia. It’s even called the ‘new yoga’ because of it’s relaxing meditative qualities.
Serotonin and dopamine are two very important chemicals for mental health and are known to be natural anti-depressants. The repetitive movement of crochet has shown to increase serotonin levels. Furthermore, matching your breathing to the repetitive action also helps to slow down your heartbeat and increase dopamine.
The release of these chemicals can reduce blood levels of cortisol – the stress hormone. This in turn lowers your blood pressure. Once your body can prevent and manage stress levels, your immune system is strengthened and you have a better ability to cope with illness, both physical and mental.